569 SOUTH TRIMBLE ROAD, MANSFIELD
419.756.0040 fax 419.756.6825 firstname.lastname@example.org
The facilities at the Raemelton Therapeutic Equestrian Center are part of what was once a 650 acre estate. Founded in 1918 by Frank Black, the estate was named Raemelton Farm, after the town in Ireland from which his father came.
The original barn was built in 1850 and remodeled in 1929 into a proper stable. It burned down in 1932 and 1937 and both times was immediately rebuilt. The stable annex, however, was not rebuilt. The remaining brick wall just outside the archway of the barn defines its outlines. This barn currently houses the program horses used in therapeutic riding classes.
In 1932, the small hexagonal building outside the barn was added as a pump room to supply water to the Robert Black property.
The long shed barn was built in 1910 and remodeled in 1929, adding box stalls. This barn was referred to as the polo barn, often housing the mounts of a visiting polo team. The polo field itself was located along the tree-lined dirt Trimble Road.
The riding hall was built in 1930 and the Raemelton Riding Club organized activities there. Regular events included Sunday afternoon teas, to socialize and watch riders through the glass view room. Both polo practice and scheduled rides were held three times a week, although the riding hall was open for unscheduled riding at any time.
Yellow and white have always been the traditional Raemelton colors because yellow was the favorite color of Frank Black's wife, Jessie.
Until after World War I, Raemelton Farm District was considered "way out" in the country. Marion Avenue was paved only to Glessner Avenue. The facilities are now surrounded by the city of Mansfield.
Raemelton has recently taken a large stride toward sustainability and improving the services we provide through the purchase of 34 acres and 3 farm buildings that were previously leased for 20 years. Ownership of the property and structures allows Raemelton to take a leadership role in the preservation of this historical landmark and implement modifications to better serve individuals with disabilities.
The Raemelton Farm Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
VICE PRESIDENT (Interim)
BARN & EQUINE MANAGER
Pam Shepard, Barn Assistant
Eric Myers, Barn Assistant
Lisa Ryan, Volunteer Staff
Click the image to see our GuideStar profile
Raemelton Therapeutic Equestrian Center is proud to be a member of the Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship, International (PATH, Int'l.). Founded in 1969 as the North American Riding for the Handicapped Association, PATH, Int'l. establishes safety standards, ensures accreditation and provides continuing education for over 850 therapeutic riding centers worldwide.
Each of Raemelton's instructors holds a PATH, Int'l. (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship, International) certification, or is in training to become certified, and Raemelton is a PATH, International Member Center. These qualifications make it possible for the organization to provide students with a safe and encouraging environment where they can make their equestrian dreams come true.
Copyright 2017 RAEMELTON THERAPEUTIC EQUESTRIAN CENTER. All rights reserved